PDA

View Full Version : White Smoke when starting up

Lars Gustafson
06-01-09, 11:15 AM
I have a 2001 Islandia 240 Merc EFI. I bought the boat used last October and now starting to run it more often. I had the yard that I am keeping it at winterize the boat. When I start the engine, white smoke emits from exhast....not overwhelming, but nevertheless - noticable. The smoke only appears when maneuvering and not while the boat is underway. Could this be a result of the winterization stuff that was run through the engine? Does the engine need a tune up?

cnpalmer
06-01-09, 11:35 AM
I've notcied the same thing when starting up my 03 Sportster. I get a decent amount of white smoke when first starting up after launching, lasts for a little while during the first run and usually subsides after WOT for a few minutes. After starting up again while being out on the H2O, I don't get any.

Anyone know what causes that that... to rich a mix, too lean a mix, bad fuel, bad oil???

rookie101
06-01-09, 09:34 PM
Lars, the smoke could be due to the winterizing. It kind of depends on what they did,and how long it has been smoking. Some dealers will add a liter or so of oil the fuel tank as well as fog the engine. In this case you will have to burn off at least a full tank of fuel before the smoke clears up. At that timereplace the spark plugs.

Cnpalmer, I believe you are running the rotax in your Sportster, so I cant help with that one.

Aaron:cheers:

Lars Gustafson
06-02-09, 12:30 PM
Thanks. What would you recommend that I do in the fall when storing the boat....full tank of gas or run it down to empty? Could the white smoke at start up be anything else? What would a standard tune-up accomplish? Appreciate your feedback. Maybe I will be in a position next year to give advice as well! Family is having fun with the Islandia, so want to make sure boat is in good working order throughout the summer.