PDA

View Full Version : Why do I see people saying "No TC-W3" oil?

JT-27
05-26-09, 04:34 PM
I have a 240 Merc 2003 Utopia, only had it out a few times this year, and topped the oil off with Wal Mart brand marine oil TC-W3. The previous owner used Sam's club brand oil, and since I don't belong to Sam's, I just got the wal-mart stuff which is likely the same thing anyway. I don't have my owner's manual with me, it's at home (and I am at work), but I could have sworn that's what it said to use.

Why does KustomKarl say this??
"Use High quality low ASH API TC Injector oil.
Do Not use NMMA TC-W, TC-W2 or TC-W3 outboard motor oils or other ash less type 2 cycle oil. Avoid mixing different brands of API TC oil as resulting chemical reaction will cause severe engine damage. Never mix Mineral or synthetics oil together."

rookie101
05-27-09, 08:35 PM
They are referring to the Rotax engines when they say not to use TC-W3. Make sure you DO use it in your Mercury. I buy the Quicksilver Premium TC-W3 that you can find at many Walmarts.

Aaron:cheers:

seadoodude1
05-28-09, 12:59 AM
I second the quicksilver TC-W3 in the Mercury. Most all brands made today mix just fine.

Seadoo specs for rotax engines is API-TC of which seadoo and amsoil are the few that market it.

cnpalmer
05-28-09, 09:21 AM
Seadoo specs for rotax engines is API-TC of which seadoo and amsoil are the few that market it.

I found out the same thing when looking for oil for my 03 Sportster. 1 gallon of the BRP oil ran me $50.00 after tax. :ack::boxing_smiley::(

JT-27
05-28-09, 10:37 AM
Ahhh cool, gotcha. I thought it may just be for the Rotax engines, but the thread I was referring to had Karl saying no to the Merc's. My boat is running fine, but it made me nervous as hell since I've only owned the Utopia for a couple of months.

I'm glad my other vessel is a 4 stroke (Honda Aquatrax)