PDA

View Full Version : Help... Seadoo Utopia Lunging/Cutting Out - water in fuel? or computer/sensor issue?

andrewsilver
02-04-09, 11:26 PM
Hi, hoping someone can help me.

My 2002 Seadoo Utopia 205 with Merc 240EFI is having problems. I'm wondering if there's water in the fuel, but not sure.

When just above idle, the engine suddenly cuts out, then comes back, then cuts out. Sometimes it cuts out completely and I have to restart it. When it comes back, it lunges forward obviously, then cuts back again.

As I accelerate further I seem to be able to eventually get it past the lunging and then it will run perfect on plane mostly.

But if I open the throttle to max, it eventually cuts out violently, then lunges forward, cuts out, lunges, etc. - until I reduce the throttle again to midspeed. Sometimes it cuts out completely at speed too, and I have to restart it.

Is this an electrical or computer/sensor issue? Or water in the fuel?

Thinking/hoping it might be water in the fuel, I drained the fuel tank through the fuel sender hole, hopefully I got out all the fuel. For the last bit I used a shop vac and sucked it up, but not sure if there's a hidden reservoir somewhere that I missed.

Next step is to figure out if the Merc240EFI has a fuel filter and a water separator. If so, can someone tell me where they are located, as I don't see them. I only see the fuel lines connected directly to the engine.

Help please... Is it water in the fuel, or something else?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

-------------------
2002 Seadoo Utopia 205 Merc 240EFI with Bennett Hydraulic Trim Tabs
1997 Seadoo GTX with Touring Windshield
1995 Seadoo GTS with Touring Windshield

timmyboy76
02-08-09, 02:47 AM
not inclined to mercs/4-strokes, but, get'n thread to top, again. More than likely, chief, thread got overlooked...

rookie101
02-08-09, 12:07 PM
not inclined to mercs/4-strokes, but, get'n thread to top, again. More than likely, chief, thread got overlooked...

It's all right Timmyboy it got a few answers in another thread.

Aaron

andrewsilver
02-08-09, 01:29 PM
Thanks all for the advice. It appears to have been solved. I changed the inline fuel filter, the fuel filter/water separator and cleaned the spark plugs.

I just took it out on the lake and the hesitations and cutouts seems to have gone away. Hopefully it will stay that way.

One note is that when I emptied the fuel filter/water separator into a plastic container, there were quite a lot of sediment in there.

Thanks again for the suggestions/advice, appareciated.

rookie101
02-08-09, 05:33 PM
Good to hear. Thanks for the update.

Aaron