PDA

View Full Version : DIY Seat/Upholstery Reconditoning

kcr357
01-22-09, 06:37 PM
I bought a 1997 Challenger last summer, good mechanical cond., needed cleaned and new seats. I took them to a local upholsterer after finding out the factory pieces are d/c, they could only tell me that it would be a minimum of 12 hours at $65 an hour, then proceeded to ask me if I could just get pre-cut pieces from Seadoo. Kind of like your accountant asking you if you would be able to just get tax software and do your taxes yourself because the job was too difficult. At this point I decided the hell with it, I'll figure it out myself.
Anyone thinking about the same route, I will share what I have learned so far.

1. After removing all the parts to be recond., remove all the staples and keep all the original parts intact as much as possible.

2. Cut the original stitches (all of them), so you can see how the factory sewed them together. (very tedious, but remember, $65 an hour from a shop)

3. Approximate how much material you will need. Marine nylon ( I use a special type that is extremely flexible, much easier to work with.) comes by the yard. It is 54 inches high by however many yards you order long. I needed 5 yards for my boat @ $19 a yard shipped.

4. Buy a sewing machine and practice. Antiques 1950's and older use all metal gears and stand up to sewing through 3 layers of vinyl, and are cheaper too. Plan on $75 and up.

5. Cut out the patterns and sew them like the factory. Measure twice and sew once...

6. You will need a heavy duty stapler, either elec. or pneumatic. They can cost a lot, but I found one from Surebond for $35 shipped. Use Monel or marine grade staples.

So far I have only done the bottom part of my seats, the top part is going to be MUCH more difficult. I will post more pics and info soon. If all goes will I am going to get licensed and do this to get through school, lots of demand in Ft Laud for this type of work :hurray:

Most importantly, you will need a lot of patience if you are not good with your hands, and if you are not patient you better be good with your hands.

Below are the bottom butt cushions and the part that spans the bottom cushion. The bottom looks like hell because I used a home depot elec stapler. I've since upgraded.

top_speed
01-22-09, 09:55 PM
I personally hate the job, I'd rather hone a cylinder anyday.

I've done a couple of seats on some buds skis, bought kits off of ebay, they included stainless T50 staples. The contours and making them look factory (via even pull & tack) is a knack. Now you also sewed... that's beyond my relm

Upholstery:( the way I look at it, if you got a factory look (like I did only after hrs of tweaking)... it's a gratifying job that you probably won't want to tackle again.

kcr357
01-22-09, 10:08 PM
I would rather do motor work as well, but the upholstery isnt too bad. SO far it hasnt turned me off that much. The vinyl I am using makes it much easier, plus I get to buy new power tools to finish the job! It seems there are alot of people on here that have no way of redoing their seats without spending an arm and a leg.

Gunsrunner
01-23-09, 05:01 AM
Another trick the we used at work was to heat the vinyl with a heat gun or hair dryer to make it easier to work with. Be careful how much heat you use and don't stretch it too much.:cheers:

kcr357
01-23-09, 10:42 AM
Another trick the we used at work was to heat the vinyl with a heat gun or hair dryer to make it easier to work with. Be careful how much heat you use and don't stretch it too much.:cheers:
Thanks, gunsrunner. I will be tackling the upper part soon and was thinking I would need to do something like that.
Here is a Cooper's back at you. :cheers:

top_speed
01-23-09, 11:26 AM

Yeah I always did my replacements in direct "hot" sunlight (got a nice tan too! :)

kcr357
01-23-09, 04:14 PM
Today I started on the back rest portion on the top part, dont think it will be as bad as I though. First I laid out the backrest, upper and lower portions of the factory cover, flattened them out as much as possible, and traced them onto the new material as I flattened them out to get the most accurate trace.
Next up I sewed the middle flaps (second pic) together, making sure to line up the sides that meet the main part(you'll notice I rounded on of the corners by accident). Next up, find the middle of the main piece on the bottom, center the top and bottom pieces you just sewed with the OUTER surfaces facing each other, and insert pins into the material to keep it in place around the curves. You will need to "bend" the material into place so both pieces follow the contours. (third pic)

kcr357
01-23-09, 04:18 PM
Yeah I always did my replacements in direct "hot" sunlight (got a nice tan too! :)
I wish, looks like we're getting some of that weather you guys had, 30's in Ft Laud 2 nights ago. Im movin farther south if this bs keeps up. I want 90 degrees and enough sun to get a first degree burn in 10 minutes :coolgleam:
Is there a way I can put text into my pictures, BTW?

kcr357
01-28-09, 04:24 PM
I had some time today before school and finished the back rest. Sewing around the corners isnt easy, but they came out pretty good. The stitching looks good and they fit well. Next time I am going to make the "wings" that go through the seat frame on each side bigger so I can trim them to fit. I mocked up the cover over the foam and it fit well. I didnt staple it, so it shows much more creases and wrinkles than it will after I finish it.

gassman
01-28-09, 08:31 PM
I have had some upholstry guys tell me they will use some glue to help hold problem spots. Watched them and it works. R U going to do more??????
I need to do a seat on my 95.

kcr357
01-29-09, 01:31 AM
I have had some upholstry guys tell me they will use some glue to help hold problem spots. Watched them and it works. R U going to do more??????
I need to do a seat on my 95.
Yep, its going well enough that I am going to finish my seats my self, and will keep templates in case anyone needs some made. I am using 4 way stretch vinyl that is almost like spandex. The bottom seat has one big piece of fabric, and might be a challenge to get wrinkle free, but so far, its been doable for a first timer with patience. Once I have all the pieces cut correctly, Im going to make templates in case anyone needs seat covers made and dont want to do it themselves. I should have the backrests stapled on in a few days. The arm rests will take a little longer as I have run out of fabric. GIve me a couple days....

kcr357
01-29-09, 04:39 PM
Today I stapled the large one piece portion of the bottom section on. It came out great, but you need to keep very close attention to the parts of the seat that will and will not be visible once the seat is on the boat, because once you wrap the excess fabric around a side or corner, it will be necessary to fold the fabric over itself. To start, center the two seams over the marks the old cover left, then put 3-5 staples in the two ends(on either side of the long ends of the seat)(pic 1) Next, press down in the hollow area that is made where the white cushions will go, and staple the fabric down(its a u shape, pic 2) the fabric will have some tension on it, so use plenty of staples. This step seems like it will be prone to wrinkle, but its the easiest part. Next up to staple under the seams in the front(the side facing the steering wheel). Then move over and do the two corners that face the steering wheel. Here you will have excess fabric, simply eye up where you wont be able to see it once mounted on the boat, and manipulate the material it that area. Then do the rear side, start at the middle and and work to the corners, again hiding the excess material out of sight. Lastly, go around and remove trimmings and add some staples all around for extra strength.
Dont use a manual stapler unless you are trying for tendonitis, I bought a pneumatic from *********** for 35 shipped. Works great with 3/8 t 50 staples. Next up is the upper part.

Gunsrunner
02-03-09, 12:25 AM
Good Job!!!!!!:hurray:
They look great, good to see someone giving it a go!!!

TVZ1965
02-03-09, 08:12 AM
Look great:agree:I know I did a Baja about a year ago and I ended up take the material and have a shop sew it for me and then I installed it, It can be a pain but so satisfying when its done and you have save some money.

kcr357
02-05-09, 05:25 PM
Thanks Guns, definitely a lot of work but worth it. I have been busy this week. Sat I want to do the seat backs, then order more material for the armrests.

I am going to make a couple sets for this type of boat and put em on ebay, I figure there needs to be a few people looking for pre-made covers but dont want to sew them. The worst part by far is trying to trace out the formed factory covers onto a flat piece of material, so Im going to trace them onto some canvas paper for future use if anyone on the forum wants to do this and needs some help, I can mail the templates for a couple bucks. Feel free to ask any questions or add comments, suggestions, etc...

kcr357
02-05-09, 05:31 PM
Look great:agree:I know I did a Baja about a year ago and I ended up take the material and have a shop sew it for me and then I installed it, It can be a pain but so satisfying when its done and you have save some money.

Thanks, I originally went to an upholstery shop myself, they quoted me at least 780-1300. WAAAY too much for me right now. So far I have spent:
Staple gun and staples-40
Vinyl-100
Sewing machine-50
~190 plus alot of time

achtungbabi
02-05-09, 11:08 PM
Today I stapled the large one piece portion of the bottom section on. It came out great, but you need to keep very close attention to the parts of the seat that will and will not be visible once the seat is on the boat, because once you wrap the excess fabric around a side or corner, it will be necessary to fold the fabric over itself. To start, center the two seams over the marks the old cover left, then put 3-5 staples in the two ends(on either side of the long ends of the seat)(pic 1) Next, press down in the hollow area that is made where the white cushions will go, and staple the fabric down(its a u shape, pic 2) the fabric will have some tension on it, so use plenty of staples. This step seems like it will be prone to wrinkle, but its the easiest part. Next up to staple under the seams in the front(the side facing the steering wheel). Then move over and do the two corners that face the steering wheel. Here you will have excess fabric, simply eye up where you wont be able to see it once mounted on the boat, and manipulate the material it that area. Then do the rear side, start at the middle and and work to the corners, again hiding the excess material out of sight. Lastly, go around and remove trimmings and add some staples all around for extra strength.
Dont use a manual stapler unless you are trying for tendonitis, I bought a pneumatic from *********** for 35 shipped. Works great with 3/8 t 50 staples. Next up is the upper part.

HI KG looks like you have done a Great job, Im about to ebark on the same project myself in a 95 speedster that possums have made a mess of the bottom section. the Trimmers here in Australia are wanting to charge an arm leg and most other body parts to even look at replacing.

Tell me did you have trouble or is there an easy way of removing the white section from the green on the bottom?

To Clairfy the Sitting section the white seat part from the green surround.

and then on the top section is there an easy to cover just the green areas without messing up the white?

Cheers.

timmyboy76
02-06-09, 02:10 AM
looks killer, kc......have some back-rest on my Sportster 1800, that needs some attention....what up?:cheers:

kcr357
02-09-09, 09:20 AM
HI KG looks like you have done a Great job, Im about to ebark on the same project myself in a 95 speedster that possums have made a mess of the bottom section. the Trimmers here in Australia are wanting to charge an arm leg and most other body parts to even look at replacing.

Tell me did you have trouble or is there an easy way of removing the white section from the green on the bottom?

To Clairfy the Sitting section the white seat part from the green surround.

and then on the top section is there an easy to cover just the green areas without messing up the white?

Cheers.

The white bottom part is riveted to the bottom portion. I used a drill, but make sure you only drill the very top of the rivet, dont drill the entire way through or the holes may be too big when you replace the assembly.

The second part-yes, the green sections are separate from the white, there isnt a lot of room to work around in, but you can do it.

kcr357
02-09-09, 09:23 AM
looks killer, kc......have some back-rest on my Sportster 1800, that needs some attention....what up?:cheers:
Im just about to do my back rests, Ill post pics when its done. I am going to get more material by the end of the week and make more covers. Mind if I ask your opinion on a fair price? I understand why shops charge $$$$ to do a one time job, but since Ive already done mine, most of the hard work is out of the way for doing more pieces...

timmyboy76
02-09-09, 10:07 AM
get'n ready to roll down to O.C. now with boat, (build'n my own wakeboard tower) I'll stop and ask what i'm look'n at for repair. I've used them, of/on for 10yrs...quads, friends equip., ski's, my other boats'..etc. So, i'll post tonight on $$$.
My recent transaction with them, was for my 96" Sportster, had all seats/backrest, rewrapped with foam, for 600 buks. Front bottom pad, left alone....

kcr357
02-09-09, 08:19 PM
get'n ready to roll down to O.C. now with boat, (build'n my own wakeboard tower) I'll stop and ask what i'm look'n at for repair. I've used them, of/on for 10yrs...quads, friends equip., ski's, my other boats'..etc. So, i'll post tonight on $$$.
My recent transaction with them, was for my 96" Sportster, had all seats/backrest, rewrapped with foam, for 600 buks. Front bottom pad, left alone....
Great, let me know what you find out...The season is starting to pic up down here it seems, people starting to gear up for spring. I cant wait.:hurray:

timmyboy76
02-09-09, 08:40 PM
Great, let me know what you find out...The season is starting to pic up down here it seems, people starting to gear up for spring. I cant wait.:hurray:

Yah really, been awesome hear for last 2 weeks, until yesterday...:ack:, darn rain, now snow..what gives. Just did ocean/lake the other day.
Get back to ya, in a day/two, on the price...:cheers:

kcr357
02-11-09, 03:22 PM
Tried to do two of the back rests today and found out the "wings" that feed through the backrest frame did not line up, they are way too high on the cover and wont work, so back to the drawing board. I am going to take them off, resew the wings on, and try again by marking where the wings need to be, then starting the stitch there so they will have to line up..:mad:

timmyboy76
02-11-09, 04:47 PM
:chillpill: man, its not like this crap was second nature to ya. Think the first set came out, awesome. :cheers:

kcr357
02-16-09, 10:28 PM
:chillpill: man, its not like this crap was second nature to ya. Think the first set came out, awesome. :cheers:
Thx man, I got alot of time into these and just want them to come out right... Too much time invested to have em lookin anything but factory. Been really busy with work, Im hoping to get back into it mid week.

Seadoopilot
02-19-09, 11:52 PM
Where did you find the UV stable Vinyl
I did my StarCraft a few years back , The job was done with a very Heavy automotive vinyl and looked fantastic , However in one season it was cracking looking 20 years old . I was told that Automotive vinyl is not automatically UV Stable

Lowej82
02-20-09, 09:38 AM
I had noticed some marine grade vinyl awhile back on ebay that was not to bad priced, The guy would also send you vinyl samples to choose your color from. I am about to pickup a 97 Seadoo Speedster and plan to redo the seats in it so I would also like to know where you picked up your vinyl @.

Wezz
02-23-09, 09:07 AM
Who did you order your fabric from?? Im about to do my seats.
Yours look great, I hope mine trun out that nice

Lowej82
02-23-09, 11:21 AM
I have some samples coming from a seller named Dady10 on ebay, once they get here I will pass along the quality of the material its supposed to be a marine grade vinyl, the guy has a nice feedback and been around awhile so it may be worth something $12.95 for a piece 54" x 36".

jjcarter
02-24-09, 09:33 AM
I found 4-way for $10 per yard, that is 54 x 36.
Try ball2ufall interior fabrics (www.bal;2ufall.com)
service. Had mine shipped to Florida and picked it up when I went down on vacation last week.
:)

kcr357
02-24-09, 03:36 PM
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/product_listing.asp_Q_CatID_E_419_A_SubCatID_E_489
Try this, its really light and stretches well...

kcr357
02-24-09, 03:37 PM
I found 4-way for $10 per yard, that is 54 x 36.
Try ball2ufall interior fabrics (www.bal;2ufall.com)
service. Had mine shipped to Florida and picked it up when I went down on vacation last week.
:)
Good price man, I might have to switch suppliers....
Do they have the right colors?

kcr357
02-24-09, 03:39 PM
Midterms are kicking my ass, but I can see some light...Will sew the last backrest cover today and post pics. The old pieces are curved from being on the seat so long and its not easy to trace 100% correctly, and I think that is where my problem stemmed from. Will find out soon.
As for those asking where I get material, its from
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/product_listing.asp_Q_CatID_E_419_A_SubCatID_E_489

but I believe another member found the same thing for $8 less a yard.
Check the above posts.

jjcarter
02-24-09, 03:52 PM
I think so. Their web site has the colour samples. I ordered the yellow for my speedster and it's exact to the colour that I was expecting. I think it's alled maided by Allsports 4-way Stretch company.
I ordered the white as well and plan on doing my bottom seats this weekend.
Shipping was cheep as well.

jjcarter
02-24-09, 03:55 PM
Sorry , the web site is
www.ball2ufall.com

kcr357
02-24-09, 10:19 PM
I made two marks on the large main piece of the backrest where the flaps need to fit through the frame, mocked up the pieces as they would come together during sewing as best I could, then got an idea of where to start sewing the upper and lower pieces that get stitched to the main piece. It is very important that the flaps are in the right place, the best thing to do is lay the large piece on the foam as it will sit once installed, then eye up where the through hole in the seat frame is. You will need to pull back the foam a bit. Take a sharpie and mark the back of the vinyl to locate the top and bottom of the frame through holes.(pic 1) This is where you need to locate the flaps. I started sewing here to hide the starting stitch. If you traced the material well, (also very important), things line up well on both sides. Pic 2 is a backrest that used inadequately traced pieces, and didnt line up with the frame through hole, also I got pissed and hurried through stapling. Looks Ok but not up to my standards. The pic that is not stapled is the one I traced better, the flaps are where they need to be, and it fits much better. I have to trim material off the top where the seat turns horizontal, but once I staple the cover, it should look close to factory.

kcr357
02-25-09, 10:25 AM
If anyone needs complete backrests, let me know. I have gotten to the point where they are coming out well enough that I am comfortable making them for others. Post me of PM. They dont take very long for me to make anymore, and I another member found a cheaper place to get the material. I ordered more material for the armrests yesterday, should be a half days worth of work once I get it.

kcr357
02-25-09, 10:32 AM
Sorry , the web site is
www.ball2ufall.com

Hell Yeah!!:willy_nilly:I was paying 19 per yard plus shipping. Changing my supplier.
Shipping is cheaper as well.

Lowej82
02-25-09, 10:47 AM
I dont mean to sound negative or anything...... Did you guys notice where it says this stuff is weather resistant for 1000 hours? whats the deal with that? 1000 hrs only is = 41.6 days?

kcr357
02-25-09, 12:14 PM
I cant make assumptions on how this material was tested, but when testing mufflers, car parts, etc.. they use a constant salt spray to test corrosion resistance. I am thinking this means 1000 hours of constant exposure to whatever they were testing for. I am going to call right now and see what the supplier says...
I talked to them, they no longer carry the 4 way stretch vinyl, can only get the two way in stock. Back to the pricey stuff.

jjcarter
02-25-09, 12:40 PM
I guess I got mine just in time. I see that the product is still on their web site.

vilord
03-01-09, 11:14 AM
What would I be looking at for complete refurb'd bottom seats through you? Needs new vinyl and foam... I know shipping sucks, but I think if separated to 3 parts it would pack into a "normal" box...
I could also throw in my old backrests free for you to use for parts (replaced completely)...

kcr357
03-06-09, 04:59 PM
What would I be looking at for complete refurb'd bottom seats through you? Needs new vinyl and foam... I know shipping sucks, but I think if separated to 3 parts it would pack into a "normal" box...
I could also throw in my old backrests free for you to use for parts (replaced completely)...
Do you mean the entire bottom section, or just the three small cushions? The entire thing is so pricey to ship, you wouldn't be saving any $$ over an upholstery shop. It doesnt come apart, its one solid piece, but if you only need the small ones, I will check foam prices and get back to you...
Keith

kcr357
03-06-09, 05:03 PM
Today I briefly worked on the arm rests. Very important to remember the left is a mirror image of the right, so if you trace out on side, YOU CANNOT USE THE SAME PATTERN FOR THE OTHER. Ask me how I know. Simply lay down the new vinyl color side down, and the new cut out face up. Now you have a right and left side.

vilord
03-06-09, 05:52 PM
Do you mean the entire bottom section, or just the three small cushions? The entire thing doesnt come apart, its one solid piece.

Ugh... The small cushions are the worst part, but there's not much point in only doing part of it...
I re-did the back by just buying a complete seat from here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370140933341 (for half the price they have it for now).

I went with Sportster Blue instead of purple for the bolsters... Silver for the backs though, just like in that auction...

rockywakes
03-06-09, 06:38 PM
krc nice job I may have to do it your way but I'm curious....

I called my dealer and since the back three cushions are ripped at the top from a hail storm he said they can sell me the covers for $73 each. But he did warn me they've seen certain boats that the original vinyl is glued to the foam inside therefore making it impossible to put the new cover on. Does anyone know if I'll have this problem with my 01 Sportster LE?

Also I presume just to remove the rear cushions its the 3 screws in the fibreglass about 6 inches above the gas tank.

:cheers: n happy boating

kcr357
03-08-09, 08:55 PM
[QUOTE=rockywakes;55065]krc nice job I may have to do it your way but I'm curious....

I called my dealer and since the back three cushions are ripped at the top from a hail storm he said they can sell me the covers for $73 each. But he did warn me they've seen certain boats that the original vinyl is glued to the foam inside therefore making it impossible to put the new cover on. Does anyone know if I'll have this problem with my 01 Sportster LE?
Not sure at all about the glue, I will say I cant imagine the foam being impossible to take off. Might require some effort or cutting though. Try contacting someine that has your same boat. That model I dont know...
Vilord found a great price on the rear portion....
Also I presume just to remove the rear cushions its the 3 screws in the fibreglass about 6 inches above the gas tank.
Yep, dont forget the two screws int he armrest area as well.

kcr357
03-08-09, 08:56 PM
Ugh... The small cushions are the worst part, but there's not much point in only doing part of it...
I re-did the back by just buying a complete seat from here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370140933341 (for half the price they have it for now).

I went with Sportster Blue instead of purple for the bolsters... Silver for the backs though, just like in that auction...
If you can get a quote to ship to 33321, let me know if the shipping cost is too much. IF not lets go from there
Keith

kcr357
03-13-09, 02:46 PM
The last thing to do was finish the middle arm rests. I tried to do it with a single large piece, but the vinyl wrinkled really bad. Instead, I traced out a center section and two side pieces, it came out much better. Here is a pick with half way through stapling.

vilord
03-13-09, 06:23 PM
Looks like I'd be at about 200 just for the round trip shipping :) I'm thinking that is out.

Sent you a PM...

Did you replace any of the foam? Where did you get it?

cadsii
03-16-09, 05:55 PM
cant wait till it gets a bit warmer i will be doing this as well, i have a big sewing shop down the street that sells about 50 types of vinyl, also already have a stapler, just dont know about the sewing, how hard is it to remove the origional stuff ? how many hours would you say ?

mattelk
03-16-09, 06:38 PM
Fixing to have some work done to mine. Pulled a back rest off and noticed the plastic (for lack of better words) alligator push pins or christmas tree push pins are not typical ones like used in automotive. I have an islandia, don't know if yall's speedsters has these same ones, but if so did you buy new ones and if so where at???? THANKS.

vilord
03-16-09, 06:41 PM
I've seen them called plastic "darts" on some of the seadoo parts pages and in the manuals... If I can't reuse the ones I have, I'll buy a bag of them from my seadoo dealer, I think he told me they were like $1 apiece, which is outrageous, but if I order online I'll pay more than that in shipping...

rookie101
03-16-09, 08:05 PM
Fixing to have some work done to mine. Pulled a back rest off and noticed the plastic (for lack of better words) alligator push pins or christmas tree push pins are not typical ones like used in automotive. I have an islandia, don't know if yall's speedsters has these same ones, but if so did you buy new ones and if so where at???? THANKS.

Take one down to your local auto parts store and see if they can match it up for you. We are just a mechanical shop, and not a reseller and I must have twenty or thirty different styles in the stock room.

Aaron:cheers:

vilord
03-16-09, 08:24 PM
For the 2001 Islandia, and 1996 challenger ("parts" link at top): 293730014___DART-BLACK $0.40

What boat do you have?

kcr357
03-17-09, 01:20 PM
cant wait till it gets a bit warmer i will be doing this as well, i have a big sewing shop down the street that sells about 50 types of vinyl, also already have a stapler, just dont know about the sewing, how hard is it to remove the origional stuff ? how many hours would you say ?
Nothing about this is THAT hard, but its very detail oriented and you need patience. To remove the old covers, you need to get a razor and cut the old stitching. SO far, I have quite a bit of time in it, but I am a student and have some free time. ymmv. Check with the shop and get a price first, I would say if they can do it for less than 600 think about it. You will need about 200+ in materials to do it yourself, plus a lot of time to get the sewing an vinyl installation down. It takes practice.

kcr357
03-17-09, 01:23 PM
Advance auto/autozone/ ace hardware. Any hardcore, stocked to the hilt hardware store should have em. As well as a autobody supply place. After I bolted my bottom section in, I didnt have a need to re use them, its very solid as is.

kcr357
03-20-09, 02:51 PM
Seat bottom in blue and silver.

esg
04-01-09, 08:36 PM
Awesome job Bro, looks professional.

rexsteiner
04-01-09, 08:55 PM
awesome job! your an excellant do-it-yourself-er.

when i did mine i got my vinyl from http://www.glfi.com/great lakes fabric. they have a ton of different marine fabrics. lucky for me they were close too. just wanted to through that in there. ther selection is kinda crazy.

i actually bought the vinyl and removed all the seat covers and arm rests and took them to an upholstry shop and had the inseam redone. then i re-stapled everything back together. the materials that was required in mine was probaly $200 ( fabric, stainless staples, and special upholstery stapler for 22 guage staples) and i think the guy charged me either 3 or 350 to do the inseam. and also about 7 hours worth of removing staples and restapleing

rexsteiner
04-01-09, 09:11 PM
pics of my own

kcr357
04-02-09, 11:42 PM
That looks trick as hell. Nice job!

phough5757
05-14-09, 02:29 AM
I hope the backs turn out better.

kustomkarl
05-14-09, 03:10 PM
uh...the front looks pretty good....I like the seats too...:rofl:

Karl

kcr357
05-14-09, 06:56 PM
I hope the backs turn out better.

Pull that vinyl!!! Stretch it a little more, those wrinkles will come out. Also, to get the ones close to the edge out, take your stapler, push the nose down on the material where it will tug the vinyl in the right direction, then staple. ALso, dont be afraid to restretch and add more staples, or even take some staples out and redo sections. Mine didnt come out perfect the first time either! Post pics when you redo it.

kcr357
05-14-09, 06:59 PM
I looked again, you're almost there. Use the trick where you pull the fabric with the stapler nose, experiment by pullin at different places and in different directions. Nice install on the small cushions btw.

Steelersrock
10-27-09, 07:58 PM
A couple questions. How many yards of green did you buy to cover your 3 seats and trim on the reverse seat? How much white?

Could you just run a single piece across the back seat rather than sew individual seats. The vinyl looks as though you could cut 1 wide rectangle, and cut butt section out, and assemble as you described without the sewing. Your thoughts?

Again, great job!

Dr Honda
10-28-09, 12:27 PM
A couple questions. How many yards of green did you buy to cover your 3 seats and trim on the reverse seat? How much white?

Could you just run a single piece across the back seat rather than sew individual seats. The vinyl looks as though you could cut 1 wide rectangle, and cut butt section out, and assemble as you described without the sewing. Your thoughts?

Again, great job!

you are going to need about 6 yards to do the boat.

The seats have a HUGE amount of curving... more than it would seem... so to do it clean... you need to cover each section. The seats come apart... so that's not an issue.

Lastly... before you waste your time with local vinyl... don't do it. (I live in the Burgh too) order yourself the 4way stretch stuff.

If you do it right... the boat will look great.

I restored the boat in my avatar last fall.

glajos42
01-28-10, 09:16 PM
Have you guys got ahold of seadooupholstery.com? He made my seats and they are perfect.

chaseschrecker
01-30-10, 08:56 AM
Mind if i ask? The bottom seat cushions are riveted and the rivet is set down in that whole. How do you replace those rivets. My rivetgun wont put a rivet down in that whole the head isnt long enough. Just curious?

Dr Honda
01-30-10, 01:38 PM
Mind if i ask? The bottom seat cushions are riveted and the rivet is set down in that whole. How do you replace those rivets. My rivetgun wont put a rivet down in that whole the head isnt long enough. Just curious?

Harbor freight tools. they sell a long nose gun for plastic rivets. I bought mine for less than $10 on sale.

glajos42
02-01-10, 07:49 AM
If that doesn't work I would use carraige bolts and either glue them in place or take the risk that they will catch. This would have to be done prior to putting the new material on the cushion.

This is the way that I should have done mine...I just thought of it after the seats were done.

audiogrinder
03-30-10, 11:30 AM
i recently found your thread.. after getting the infamous runaround from all the upholstery shops and seadoo corp. i decided to reupholster seats myself. seats are pretty trashed tho. so i am going to need some new foam and templates. What would you need to get me some templates for the big bottom seat and the big backrest. Mine are like potato chips in spots. not sure how to soften. also, where is a good place to get the 4way stretch fabric.. any help would be a godsend. thanks

parrothd
04-01-10, 10:50 AM
Did mine a few months ago, and got everything from www.seadooupholstery.com, turned out great...

Jared
04-07-10, 01:26 PM
Just wondering, How does that 4 way stretch vinyl do in the cold? Is it going to crack after my first winter because it gets down in the 30's where I live. I need to redo a couple seats and you make it look managable for a do it yourselfer. Thanks

parrothd
04-07-10, 02:03 PM
Just wondering, How does that 4 way stretch vinyl do in the cold? Is it going to crack after my first winter because it gets down in the 30's where I live. I need to redo a couple seats and you make it look managable for a do it yourselfer. Thanks

30s? 30s? :nopity:

Must be nice having that warm weather! Mine has held up fine in <0 weather..

rpeck357
05-16-10, 10:29 PM
hi,

i have a 99 challenger that i just bought and is in desperate need of conplete reupholstering. Do you have the templates that i could use or could you sew some pieces together for me and ship them? im just thinking out loud here. i have removed everypiece from the boat just looking for an easier way of takling this. let me know what you think and how we should take care of the transaction. thanks

rob

rpeck357@gmail.com

parrothd
05-17-10, 09:46 AM
hi,

i have a 99 challenger that i just bought and is in desperate need of conplete reupholstering. Do you have the templates that i could use or could you sew some pieces together for me and ship them? im just thinking out loud here. i have removed everypiece from the boat just looking for an easier way of takling this. let me know what you think and how we should take care of the transaction. thanks

rob

rpeck357@gmail.com

http://www.seadooupholstery.com/

bammajamma
06-27-10, 02:48 PM
I was wondering where to buy boat seat fabric, vinyl for seat, sportster

masrik
06-29-10, 09:21 AM
Hey, I have the same boat and you did a great job ... I am having a hard time figuring out how to remove the seats .. the bolts all appear to be very hidden ... can you help ?

audiogrinder
03-06-11, 05:34 PM
hey kcr, thanks for the great post on seadoo challenger. How could I get some templates from ya? I have one that is horrid. Upholstery like potato chips, foam gone etc.. It is going ok, but i tell you a set of templates sure would be helpful.. thanks

audiogrinder -at- hotmail.com
justin

handkaudio
03-17-11, 06:32 AM
I would love it if I could just get a few more details on removing the seats, got a pretty good idea on the rear, but not sure on the rest. I dont want to break anything. If anyone has any info and could pm it to me, that would be amazing!!! Thanks

hey kcr, thanks for the great post on seadoo challenger. How could I get some templates from ya? I have one that is horrid. Upholstery like potato chips, foam gone etc.. It is going ok, but i tell you a set of templates sure would be helpful.. thanks

audiogrinder -at- hotmail.com
justin

audiogrinder
03-20-11, 12:20 AM
I would love it if I could just get a few more details on removing the seats, got a pretty good idea on the rear, but not sure on the rest. I dont want to break anything. If anyone has any info and could pm it to me, that would be amazing!!! Thanks

take a look at this link. http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/wps/Seadoo_OEM/Seadoo_JB.asp?Type=13&A=13&B=24

honestly, the front seat is all plastic junk upholstery tree black clips that will break and you will have to replace. Even the top backrest of front seat except for the two metal hook rods on top. you can see in the picture. all parts referring to (dart black) are the plastic clips that need pryed up. If you need your seats recovered, I did a nice job on mine. let me know. if you do them yourself, make sure you get the 4way stretch vinyl - you need this. same stuff they put on at the factory. stretchy.

hnkydg1
08-12-11, 09:48 PM
Iwould be glade to buy some from you

wildone72
08-18-11, 01:35 PM
Looks very good. I am going to give mine a go. Just seems that the 98 speedster has the hardest seats to copy. Going to try to heat up the vinyl and remove it with out ruining the foam. I may try and fab my own style of seat.

RFoster130
08-18-11, 01:50 PM
I have talked to Keith about the 98 seats and he seemed to think it would be best to just cover them over the existing covers. That doesnt really just peel off. You will end up doing more damage to the foam.

hnkydg
08-27-11, 05:17 PM
Where did you get seats redone

RFoster130
08-27-11, 09:39 PM
did you read any of this thread? the whole thing covers where.... seadooupholstery.com

enut
10-22-11, 10:03 PM
I jut redid the rest of my seats that the previous owner did not get to. I ordered the vinyl from Rochford Supply, I purchased the stapler from Harbor Freight last weekend for $14. I put the fabric on the seat bottoms as one piece. It was a few hours of work, then the butt cushions had to be redone. I ended up starting in the center and worked my way out to the ends. It does take a lot of patience. I did go back and remove some staples to pull the vinyl to get it right.

Thanks for the info from everyone on this thread! :)

jimd
10-25-11, 12:43 PM
Great documenting your project. Can you tell me the details about the vinyl, where to order? Weight? How did you match or choose the color?
Information would help me on my 1997 Challenger.

enut
10-25-11, 09:43 PM
The vinyl was ordered from Rochford Supply, www.rochfordsupply.com
I ordered the "Allsport Vinyl" , since there are only two colors on the boat, white and green, there were only two choices based on their color samples. The only green was "Marine Green" and "Chalk" for white.

jake1295
04-01-12, 09:21 PM
does any one have templates they'd be willing to share (maybe some $$ for them)
also i didn't see it specified when i read through; how much of each colour is needed to do all the seats?

jake1295
04-03-12, 06:12 PM
BUMP!! i'd really like to be able to order soon

kmccawley
04-27-12, 03:55 AM
I am in the process of redoing my seats on my challenger I will posts pics tomorrow I so far completed the front backrest I had to go with puple and white as they did not have enough of the green to complete my job so I chose to go with the purple instead will post the images tomorrow :willy_nilly:

Dr Honda
04-27-12, 06:52 AM
please do. I don't think we've had any recent interior projects.

I did the boat in my avatar about 5 years ago now... and I know how big of a pain it is.

Good luck.

Photogal5
05-04-12, 06:45 PM
Hey guys, has anyone got the patterns, perhaps copyed on paper that they would sell? I'm not sure just what jet boats use the same setup as my95 sportster, but I am going to have to cut cushions, and vinyl without a template due to the fact that the used seadoo I just bought didn't have seats, or even foam to go by. I would have reconsidered purchasing this boat if I had known that hull parts were discontinued.
If someone could tell me what models and years interchange, plus what foam would I use. ( I have read through some threads and found info on upholstery ) but if during all your hard work, if someone might have traced their pattern onto paper,I would consider paying a reasonable amount. I hope that asking this is not against forum policy, I am really new to this!
Hope everyone has a great day!

griz400
05-04-12, 06:57 PM
hey alabama, i went to college there !! ucla, upper corner of lower alabama, -- anyways, guy here just did his, here is the link,
http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?49410-Reupholstered-! -- maybe just post there also, or pm him, (private message) check out the link, his came out nice

Photogal5
05-04-12, 07:14 PM
Those are amazing! I wonder if he does those to sell? He would make a killing! I would pay $500 to have those. I will check out his post, thank you.
Btw, Lake Guntersville Al, northeast.

Photogal5
05-04-12, 07:38 PM
you say you may have the templates? I have nothing to go on with mine, there was no foam, or vinyl to even begin to DIY.
If there is anyway I could beg, buy, or borrow, I would be ever so great full. Mine is a 95 sportster, but it looks like there are different boats and years that interchange. I would be happy to pay for a copy of templates.
I just began on this forum today and am not a premium member, so I am not sure how to contact you, but will become one if I need to. I wonder if there is anyone that sells completed units? It seems like it would be a lucrative business.

simplewon
06-10-12, 09:20 PM
Just finished mine also, got everything from http://www.seadooupholstery.com/

Looks like a new boat.
http://i46.tinypic.com/4r9405.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/2envnma.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/ztufi8.jpg

moto17
06-10-12, 09:22 PM
Nice job! ...i did my own! same boat!

moto17
06-10-12, 09:24 PM
I got mine from the same place! they rock! http://www.seadooupholstery.com/ My boat is on his page!

Seadoobuddy
06-10-12, 09:29 PM
Simple, who and what did 167 in a 50 MPH zone??????

BTW, nice looking seats

Dalakian
07-20-12, 01:37 PM
This may be a little offtopic, but does anyone know if these seat covers for XP are any good or are they cheaply made? http://www.watercraftsuperstore.net/PWC-Standard-Seat-Covers/108BT111-S.html

My stock seat is completely burned out from the sun and I would like to get it replaced.

simplewon
07-20-12, 04:00 PM
These seat covers are better quality than the oem sea-doo ones. As info.

Dalakian
07-20-12, 04:58 PM
Sweet. Thanks for the info. I feel safe buying them now.

malesandro
08-05-12, 01:45 PM
I just bought 96' Challenger without seats. I have to expoy all the existing holes because the person who ripped them out cracked the gelcoat. Would by chance provide me a picture of the back seat and your cut out dimensions of the vinyl? I will need to tackle the project just like yourself. I have Juki sewing machine with the required hardware to complete the job. Should I use marine grade wood as the base for each of the seats? What do you recommend?

simplewon
08-05-12, 02:55 PM
I would simply install new stainless flat head bolts going down from the seats into existing or new holes. It would make it an easier install. As far as pictures, you might check with http://www.seadooupholstery.com/

They have pics and video that might help.

malesandro
08-07-12, 07:49 PM
I will gladly pay you for the seat templates. Please give me a price.

simplewon
08-07-12, 08:21 PM
I will gladly pay you for the seat templates. Please give me a price.

You will need to contact http://www.seadooupholstery.com/ for info. I'm sure they will be happy to help. They were very helpful with mine.

75sausage
01-03-14, 12:48 PM
Sorry , the web site is
www.ball2ufall.com

Buyer beware.

I bought the 4 way stretch stuff from this guy. Everything came in as ordered but the quality of the vinyl is sub-par. The stuff is so flimsy, you can poke a hole in it with your finger. When I tried to return it I was unable to do so. Left 3 messages over a span of 3 weeks and got no response.

Jetboater02
03-23-14, 06:18 PM
Anyone know how to get the bow seat backs off on a 2005 Islandia? I have got to get my upholstery to copycatupholstery.com so I can redo my seats. Do I need to remove all of my cup holders or speakers to get to the screws? Someone? Anyone? :banghead:

poetb
05-29-14, 01:39 PM
Hello, Great job. I have a 97 challenger and want to do the seats also. What is the cost for the templates. (email at poetbruce@Verizon.net ) Thanks.