PDA

View Full Version : Any 4 Stroke to replace the Mercury M2?

scarfie
11-05-07, 06:17 PM
Thankfully this is not an issue at this time but I'm more curious about this for future reference.

Is there any 4 stroke powerhead out there that would relatively easily replace the Mercury 240 EFI M2 in a 2000 Challenger 2000?

Hope I'm not jinxing my motor by asking, it is a great motor...I just hate the 2 stroke smoke.

seadoosnipe
02-03-08, 11:01 PM
Hey Scarie.....I think we solved the problem with the "old smokey" but I just read this post and found it a bit amusing, so I wanted to throw in my 2 cents in on it..........."no" , as far as I know, the Mercury M-2 engine is the only engine that will fit. The new models now run the 4 cycle 4-TEC engines, but it won't fit in your boat. The shaft and pump come out the back verses dropping down thru the hull, then out the back.........but I think once your M-2 is completely back in tip top shape, you'll be happy.
Now about that trim tab?

kustomkarl
02-14-08, 09:33 PM
I've been looking around for a 4 stroke replacement and haven't seen anything that might work. That would be a great thing if it available.
Karl

seadoosnipe
02-14-08, 11:39 PM
I'm afraid not. The only way you could replace the Mercury would be to do a complete mod and remove the jet pump also. Would it be worth the cost....no, unless you wanted to go with a Berkley pump and do a little racing. Then, I don't think the hull is race efficient.
The good thing is, Sea-Doo no longer uses the Mercury's M-2 engine in their Sport, Recreational or Muscle boats. All their boats in the 2008 season use the 1503 4-TEC engines. They found the horsepower of the V-6 couldn't match that of the 1503 when it came to efficiency and weight ratio.
What a nice engine!........:)